.

.

Thursday 3 October 2013

Digipak Colour Palette

I have been considering the choice of colour palettes that I could use for my digipack and have considered using both the psychedelic colour palette similar to that used within the kaleidoscope projection shots in the music video or a simple black, white, and grey palette. When considering how to incorporate the more psychedelic colour palettes, I have decided that this could be achieved by using either colour filters/alternatively coloured lighting, using the projector to take stills, or simply using photoshop to edit the colour hue/saturation, etc. to gain the aesthetic that I'm hoping to achieve. 

For this colour palette I have taken inspiration from the artwork for The Internet's album 'Purple Naked Ladies' (shown previously in my artwork research posts). I love this colour palette as it achieves the 'new wave' aesthetics that I am hoping to achieve and has a fresh appearance. This is the colour palette that I am most likely to use for my digipak.

This is a colour palette that is orientated solely around one colour but at different shades. As the colour is pink, it is necessary to think whether this colour palette would only appeal to the female audience. Although this is a stereotypical judgement, it is something that could affect the reception of the digipak and therefore market research concerning the colour palette of the digipak would have to be completed if this palette was to be chosen.

This is the simple black, white, and grey colour palette - taken from the 1975's album artwork (also shown previously in my artwork research posts). That artwork also uses the effect of a film grain, which is something that I feel would coincide with the concept of using the photo-booth technique as the artwork of the digipak.

This is a more complex colour palette, consisting of five colours instead of three. These colours were taken from the inspiration of Chance the Rapper's album 'Acid Rap'. This is the most psychedelic colour palette that I have considered and would catch the eye of a passer-by when being sold in physical form. It would be difficult to balance these colours equally on the cover, however if the consistency proved to work, the artwork could consist of the experimental, new wave, psychedelic pop,  and neo-psychedelia aesthetics that reflect the genre of the song and artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment