.

.

Monday 30 September 2013

Representations in my Music Video

Who? 
In the video will be Jordan Cross (vocalist). Jordan will be featured heavily in the video because of her lead role and because she is the only person that I have chosen to appear in the video - there will be close up and mid shots of her as the artist and these will be important when promoting the star image. At first, I was deliberating as to whether or not involve the remaining two members of the 'experimental collective' MMM, to create a believable artist persona. However, I decided that doing this would mean creating more scenes in which they could feature and this could over complicate the video - something that I am trying to avoid. Also, it would be difficult to incorporate them into the video as they would have no real function - therefore it could be seen as unnecessary. 

What?
The music video is classed as amplification, with hints of disjuncture. The video has features of amplification as the shots change in time with the beat of the song, and the lyrics, at times, coincide with the song and the shots in the video. For example, the artist performs the lines "You'll find that I'm in you, and you're inside me too" - complete with actions. However, the video also contains elements of disjuncture due to the use of projection shots and the content of the outdoor shots. These shots are not related to the meaning of the song or the lyrics of the song itself and therefore there is little relation between the song and the video in this sense.

Where?
I have chosen to film in a number of locations for my music video; a room with a projector, the street, Highcross car park, and Highcross bridge. I felt that having numerous locations would give me the opportunity to create a sequence of fast, varying shots in the video when the beat and pace of the song increases - similar to the official video of Navy. I still plan on filming during the night-time and by using the locations of the street/car park/bridge, lighting will not be an issue as I can use the already provided lighting of car headlights, street lamps, traffic lights, etc. By filming in these outdoor places, it implies a modern genre. 
By using a blank room with a projector, I am able to create special effects and relate this to the experimental and psychedelic genre of the song. As the room is blank, there will be no distractions from the images and/or the artist.

Why?
I have chosen to create a music video with both elements of amplification and disjuncture because this reflects the new wave and experimental genre of the song. By keeping simple shots at simple angles, it would prevent over complicating the video.

How?
I will make the video by using either a HD camera, which I shall borrow. Or a camera of lower quality if the alternate HD camera is not available. I will also use a tripod that I will borrow, which will be especially important when filming the projection shots indoors, to ensure that the filming is steady, level, and as good quality as possible in order to look professional. By creating the risk assessment, storyboard and finalising the animatic, I am able to begin filming immediately. However, I still need to create a final schedule so that the filming can begin and time can be delegated properly - being as efficient as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment